The Italian Republic has had an Embassy in Doha since February 1992.
According to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 18 April 1961, the functions of the Embassy are, among others, to:
• represent Italy in Qatar;
• protect the interests of Italy and its citizens, within the limits permitted by international law;
• negotiate with the Government of the State of Qatar;
• inquire/ obtain information, by any lawful means, on the conditions and the evolution of events in Qatar and report them to the Italian State;
• promote friendly relations and develop economic, cultural and scientific relations between Italy and Qatar.
Through its Consular Chancellery, the Embassy of Italy in Doha also provides a series of consular services to Italian and foreign citizens residing in the territory.
At the Embassy of Italy operate / The following operate at the Italian Embassy in Doha:
• the Office of the Defense Attaché, headed by the Colonel of the Italian Army Fausto Antonio Ricchetti is charged with:
o following all assistance activities for Italian military delegations on official visits;
o maintaining collaborative relationships with the institutional interlocutors of the Ministry of Defense of the State of Qatar, as well as with the Military Offices of the other Embassies;
o ensuring coordination of military cooperation and defense industry activities with the State of Qatar;
o coordinating the activities connected with/ linked to the issuing of diplomatic authorizations in the event of/ in case of overflights or stopovers of military aircraft.
• the Office of the Agency for the promotion abroad and internationalization of Italian companies (ICE), whose Director is Dr. Paola Lisi.